Monday 14 March 2011

Poem -- The Story of a Family

Back when I was in high school, one year for English class we had to write a short story.  For whatever reason, I wrote a poem to go with mine.  Having just started my family history blog and with St. Patrick's Day coming up this week, I thought I might share this with you.   It may not be my best work, but it tells you a bit about why I have this blog today.
The Story of a Family

I long for a land that's not truly my home.
The land of my fathers,
The land of the stones.
The land which has beauty
In forms so abstract
Made concrete in leprechauns, shamrocks and grass.
This land has endured
What many could not:
The Penal Laws, the Famine, the battles they've fought.
They've lived through it all,
Held firmly to custom.
They know where they're going, and where they have come from.
And let us remember each St. Patrick's Day feast
That Ireland's the place we'll find happiness
At least.

No comments:

Post a Comment